OUR STORY

Holy Savior began as a dream in 1991 when Holy Cross and Risen Savior Lutheran Churches considered how together they might better serve the community of northwest Lincoln. 

Holy Cross itself evolved beginning in 1948 from Huskerville Community Church, a non-denominational church originally located in the old Lincoln Air Base Hospital Chapel.  A number of pastor and student vicars served the congregation in its early years, and in 1960 the newly named church, Holy Cross, broke ground in Airport Heights.

Risen Savior began in 1982 with home bible studies and a desire to plant a congregation in the Highlands area.  The congregation met at the University Chapel until the building was completed in 1983, and the name became Highlands Lutheran.  A name change occurred to Risen Savior in 1991.

In 1992 the dream became a reality when Holy Cross and Risen Savior Lutheran Churches merged their ministries to better serve the community of northwest Lincoln.  Holy Savior’s story continues to be a story of many people coming together to live, share, and celebrate the good news of God’s love for us in Jesus Christ.